Kid Created~ Sausage, Potato, & Corn Leftover Bake {Smothered In Cheese!}



The kids got together and created tonight's meal from leftovers in the fridge. The last few days I have shoved various leftovers into the fridge, hoping that someone would get the munchies and rid me of them.

Instead the kids wanted to make dinner, really who am I to argue with that? I told them that I had been shown a recipe for Sloppy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches from Cupboard Concoctions Blog {even mentioned to the author that I would have the kids make it tonight}. The older kids insisted on clearing out the fridge, probably had something to do with the huge fit I had the other day about wasting food. Nice to know they were actually listening.

Anyhow, the recipe is really simple. They took left-over fried potatoes, left-over corn, and 2 packages{not left-over} Mild Italian Sausage Links/Brats. The sausage links were cut up into large chunks, quickly cooked in a fry pan and added to the mixture. 

As I watched them  transfer it all into a casserole dish, I remember thinking "This is going to be the driest meal we have had in a long time". But I kept silent and watched them all work together, more like shocked they were all working together. The older kids even had my 2 year old helping out by letting him spoon into the casserole dish.




Around 30-35 minutes later, I watched in awe as the dish was taken out of the oven- they then added around 2 bags of shredded cheese on top. I think they used 1 bag of Mozzarella and 1 bag of Mozzarella & Cheddar. They plopped it back in the oven for another 5 minutes, in the meantime they set the table and sliced up some bread to serve with it.

I must say, it was not dry at all...and it was really quite good. I was impressed at the fact that all 9 of us were able to eat, all bellies full, and leftovers were no longer in my fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment