Iditarod Training

Alright so none of us are actually going to be racing, per se. We are getting prepared for our upcoming Iditarod unit. And we will be racing by way of "Idita-read". So far our lesson plan has not been set in stone as of yet. I have been creating worksheets and information for our own "lapbook/notebook". The plan is to watch movies either about the Iditarod itself or somehow pertaining to dog-sledding. The booklist is fairly long at this point ( I will figure out how to post that later) which is fine by me since my kids struggle in this area.

The biggest problem I am having is that my kids are very hands on. So coming up with creative projects, other than the dog booties (which we bought enough fabric to fit several pet shelters). The pursuit of finding recipes has also proved difficult.

We will be using some of Hands of a Child materials, both out of the Iditarod unit and the Sled dog unit. Also a big resources is the Iditarod website itself . A few more great websites are Cabela's Iditarod page and most important the Iditarod project online.

We are also throwing in an Alaska unit and finishing up our winter unit, so this should be enough to get us to the race. Since the race isn't until March - I do have alot of resources to create and find so that we will be ready when they start mushing across the starting line.

No comments:

Post a Comment